Monday 5 January 2009

Recommendation Weekly: Yelle - Pop Up



She's French and dangerous. She's not a role model and certainly not the one you'are going to see on the cover of a beauty magazine. More likely she'll be friends with Peaches and will spit on your face if you try to be original in front of her. Her name is Julie Budet, although she's better known as Yelle. Her debut album "Pop Up" is an electronic mixture gathering clashy beats, witty texts and extravagant fashinosta under one name. Yelle's big breakthrough was the song "Je Veux Te Voir", which is an altered version of the 1994 hit "Short Dick Man" by 20 Fingers. This song disses Cuizinier of the French rap group TTC and turned her into the freshest newcomer in electroclash for an overnight. The video to "Je Veux Te Voir" has the impressive amount of more than 6,5 million plays in YouTube, which is quite astonishing for a little French girl like Yelle.

Giving a listen to "Pop Up" I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the album. I am not very much into French music and I had my doubts about it, but after a try I was hooked. Actually I did so like her that I watched almost every live performance of her in YouTube. Her music came like a kick in the teeth after a long break from cheerful electronica (too much Clan of Xymox :D). But Julie made not just my day, but my whole week as well.

Don't worry, pals! You don't need to know French in order to like her. At least I can't say a whole sentence in her native language and still I am enjoying her to the max. Yelle is one of these performers that can make you stand up and slowly, but surely getting into the rhythm until you find yourself partying all around the place. Still, if you can't get enough of her wait until I show you Uffie!

No comments: