Saturday 17 January 2009

My appreciation for Regina



This is not a post about Regina Spektor, although she's an excellent artist too. My true appreciation is for the Finnish electronic group Regina, which have become one of my biggest music affections for the last three years. I discovered them thanks to the kind help of Last.fm, on which the group was recommended to me. They had one free track "Katso maisemaa" and of course I just couldn't resist temptation and downloaded it immediately. o be honest, I've had a slight idea of how the Finnish language sounds and I was more amused than impressed, but after several listens it did grow on me...and when something draws my attention it has to be explored to its depths. Up to that moment they had only one album called "Katso maisemaa".

The band was formed in 2004 by Iisa Pajula, Mikko Pikäri and Mikko Rassinen and soon rose to fame in the Helsinki electronic scene and are most likely the next best thing in Finnish music.

Honestly every track on the album "Katso maisemaa" is excellent. Despite the fact that I don't understand even a single word they still sound amazing. I even learned some of the lyrics, no matter how impossible suomi sounds. Actually my appreciation for Regina pushed me to learn something more about Finland, its culture and music. Finland's most famous bands are Nightwish, H.I.M., Children of Bodom, Apocalyptica, The Rasmus and Sonata Arctica, all of which are in one way or another connected with the heavy scene. That is why I was a bit surprised to find a Finnish group which makes electronic music and it's actually damn good. Thank any god for Scandinavian music!

In 2007 they released their sophomore effort called "Oi miten suuria voimia!", which includes ten new wonderful compositions. Their second album is less electropop and more alternative electronica orientated, but preserves the unique sound of Regina. They even released their first ever video "Paras aika vuodesta".

No comments: