Tuesday 20 October 2009

Cover me up: Metal covers pop I

To be honest I am not that much of a cover-versions-fan, but there are some covers that happen to be better than the original. Recently I was listening to Paradise Lost when it struck me all of a sudden that their "Small Town Boy" was in fact a cover of the 80s hit single by Bronski Beat. Half an hour later I was digging lists of cover version of various popular songs and it's not that much of a surprise that even performers from the rang of Madonna have covered at least one song throughout their career. Hence, I decided to create a few lists of my own with covers that you might possibly know or at least enjoy. Still, if you don't like them or find them of poor quality you can only blame the musicians. I am just the one with the lists.

I decided to start with metal covers of pop songs as they tend to be most fun to compare to the original and most are quite original of their own.



Dope - You Spin Me Right Round (Dead or Alive)



Theatre of Tragedy - You Keep Me Hangin' On (The Supremes)



Paradise Lost - Small Town Boy (Bronski Beat)



To/Die/For - (I Just) Died In Your Hands (Cutting Crew)



Machinae Supremacy - Gimme More (Britney Spears)



Rammstein - Das Modell (Kraftwerk)



Helloween - Lay All Your Love On Me (ABBA)



Gamma Ray - It's a Sin (Pet Shop Boys)



Deftones - To Have and To Hold (Depeche Mode)



Within Temptation - Running Up That Hill (Kate Bush)